Friday 5 March 2010

Lita Roza - (How Much Is) That Doggie In The Window

Lita Roza - '(How Much Is) That Doggie In The Window?'
17th April, 1953 (1 week)

Yes. You read that right. This song was actually a Number 1 hit.

I did say a few posts ago that there was some unbearable songs coming up. This is but the first of many. A theme that I've hinted at several times is that chart music has never exactly reflected music trends. That's the problem when you're judging the music tastes of a nation with effectively one snapshot from each week: it's only rarely that someone special comes along who catches what tastemakers would term the zeitgeist of an era and makes it critically and, more importantly (for the purpose of this blog at least) commercially successful. For every Madonna how many Tiffanys are there?

So, for my disdain of this song, I won't post a link up to it out of principle. Ok, actually, that's a lie. I just can't find a copy of it anywhere to post. But whatever, I can pretend to have principles about these sorts of things. In the meantime, here is a picture of Lita Roza (not the same, I know, I know, I'm sorry) the Liverpudlian purveyor of songs about puppies. The first person from Liverpool to get a UK Number 1 single. I've heard a few rumours there might be one or two more number 1s from that city... (at the time I write this, I believe it's 57, if you're interested).

In the meantime, enjoy The Muppets:


6 comments:

  1. Here is a link to the French version of the song :

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgu0TFPRVss

    It's a classic in France too but that doesn't mean it's any good !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah France, the land where Johnny Hallyday manages to remain inexplicably popular.

    That video manages to be one of the most spectacularly vile things I have ever seen!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of all the good French singers it's sad that you only know Johnny Hallyday (who'll stay popular for as long as his fans are alive... about 10 years). We also have a few talented ones like Camille :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7D-qUJZ6hQ
    Anyway, in terms of good music, it's always hard to do better than the Brits !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I am being a bit sarcastic. It's rather hypocritical of British people to moan about the enduring popularity of Johnny Hallyday when we have Cliff Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Random question : who would you say is your favourite band/singer/musician ? (other than Cliff Richard obviously)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm. That is a very good question. And one without a real answer, unfortunately. I like all sorts, from Buddy Holly to The Smiths to Lady Gaga. I am, really, just a fan of most music.

    ReplyDelete