Saturday 13 March 2010

David Whitfield - Answer Me

David Whitfield - 'Answer Me'
6th November, 1953 (1 week)

David Whitfield was launched to number 1 on the 6th November 1953 with his version of 'Answer Me, My Love' by the strength of a predominately female fan-base.

Interestingly, this song was originally banned by the BBC. Not because Whitfield was a satanic anti-Christ prone to abusing his female fanbase (though imagine the scandal), but because the BBC didn't approve of the original religious connotations. It was actually being directed at God, called 'Answer Me, Lord Above' asking why the poor old chap's lover had left. So Aunty Beeb slapped it with the 'banned' label. Considering how much the BBC gets attacked by 'certain right wing news outlets' for being too politically correct under this government, it's interesting to see they've probably been making the same claims for the past 60 years.

Anyway, a re-recorded version was released with new lyrics directing the song at the lover themselves and cutting out the middle man, if you will, and got to number 1, so here it is:


Personally, I've never really understood the sheer financial power of the young girl market (perhaps that's why I never get any dates. Well, that and I sit at a computer writing blogs about Number 1 singles rather than actually, erm... talking to people). I think this is another example of this lack of understanding. To me, listening to Whitfield's voice is as pleasant as rubbing your ear against sandpaper. Yet he still managed to be very popular. Go figure.

This song itself, however, will pop up again very very soon...

2 comments:

  1. I'm what you might call an 'old biddy' & stil, just hearing his voice, makes me gooey, like melted cheese! LoL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. Its so nostalgic to listen to it. I was brought up in the 1950s and my Dad loved David Whitfield, so whenever he was on the TV or radio, we had it on at home. I had a DVD of some of his old ATV shows for Christmas 2010, which is marvellous for Whitfield fans.

    ReplyDelete