Sunday 17 January 2010

You Belong To Me

Jo Stafford – ‘You Belong To Me’

16th January 1953 (1 week)

The second UK number 1 single and the first by a female vocal artist: Girl Power!




The song is a reminder to a lover that no matter where they are, or what amazing sights of the world they see, they still belong to the singer. Though it manages to come down on the good side of the ‘romantic song/Sting-penned ballad about stalking’ divide. It’s the sort of thing you can imagine playing on a jukebox in the background of a milkshake bar/diner. Or on the soundtrack to Pleasantville.


I was thinking about making another Michael Buble joke here – the song is prime Buble-bashing material after all and I do have quite the acute dislike for the Canadian crooner. Then I saw that he is one of a myriad artists (including Carla Bruni!) who have actually done a version of this song. So I guess the joke’s on me, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment